Monday, July 1, 2013

Wesch's Claim, 21st Century Kids and Learning


I think Wesch’s claim about 21st century kids and learning is that how kids access information today is very different than the way they accessed information in the past.   Through technological advancements, teachers and students have valuable tools in which to enhance learning but it is not the end all, be all. 

He talks about various movements in education over many decades and how these movements came about and eventually faded away due to political reasons.  Whether the reasons were grounded in war policies or the economy, eventually educational movements tend to fade.  However, I found it interesting how Wesch brought politics into the conversation in order to make his point about the digital movement by saying, “The urgency of our movement is not grounded in a single political issue”. I wish I could talk to him directly about this.  It is hard for me to remove politics from the conversation when it comes to education because after this past year in Rhode Island I feel teachers were drowning in politics.  So any conversation about education must involve politics, right? But I do think I understand what he is saying.  It does not need to be a political issue to add technology and connect digitally in classrooms; teachers can simply do it on their own.  Through the many free tools available, teachers have the ability to enhance their lessons and unit plans while getting away from the blackboard and adding some fun technology.  Most likely this enhanced lesson/unit connects more closely to students' lives and helps them to be more engaged and more eager to come to class.  Perhaps teaching with the many fun tools available, and making mistakes with them, allows students to see their teachers learning right along with them.  Most of the content will still be there, it is how teachers deliver the content that needs to change.  I’m thinking that is what Wesch it trying to get across to the reader.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that teachers can put technology in and add things that don't require investment. I think as teachers many of us add things to education and stretch the limits of what we've been provided. However, I believe you are all too correct when you say politics and education are difficult if not impossible to untangle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madonna, when Lesley asked about successful learning this morning, I had to force myself to think about my own education. Most of the reasons that I thought of without a filter were home renovation projects... sort of learn by making mistakes and then making them right. But when I forced myself to think about high school I remember a situation with my precal teacher... I was asking her a question about a problem during a test and Mrs. Gil acted like she had no idea what I was asking and simply said, "I don't know, but what I do know is that..." and she basically mapped out her thought process for me. I bring this up because your comment about students learning along with teachers is something I try to instill in my own classes and I think I can trace it back through my own personal education to that point where Mrs. Gil basically played me. Ironically though, I don't let my students ask me any questions during a test. DOes that mean I'm not allowing students to have the same ah-ha moment that I had? Here we go again...

    ReplyDelete