Sunday, September 23, 2012

Literacy with an Attitude

As soon as I completed the reading, I bought Patrick Finn’s book, Literacy with an Attitude, Educating Working-Class Children  in Their Own Self-Interest.  I felt as though I could relate to him and I could apply what he writes about to my own classes.  He uses phrases such as “empowering education”, “domesticating education”, and “oppositional identity” which I have not thought about since my teaching classes.  Also, he references Linda Christensen’s case study in her co-written book, Rethinking Schools which is a book I have had on my shelf for some time and haven’t had a chance to read.  Finn and Christensen think very much alike.

Finn’s focus is on how important it is for “working-class students to see that literacy and school knowledge could be a potent weapon in their struggle for a better deal, not a bunch of sissy stuff for which they have not use”.  He challenges teachers who believe they cannot bring social justice connections into their classroom because of curriculum restrictions, administrative disapproval, etc.  In addition, he tackles tracking as far as using the lower level classes as a dumping ground for the behavior problems from the upper level classes.  He says, “You want to talk about a tough teaching environment.”  I sure agree with him!

Finn’s definitions on the terms noted above: 
·         Empowering education – leads to powerful literacy, the kind of literacy that leads to positions of power and authority (pg. ix); the upper class
·         Domesticating education – leads to functional literacy, literacy that makes a person productive and dependable, but not troublesome (pg. x); working class and middle class
·         Oppositional identity – when some minorities feel they have been wronged by mainstream Americans and that “acting white” is a betrayal of their people (pg. x)

Finn talks at length about Paulo Freire’s work on teaching literacy to poor adults in Brazil.  Through his work, Freire used codifications to help his students understand how culture and literacy affects their lives.  It was fascinating to see the pictures he used to break down this very difficult concept into a fairly easy pictorial handbook.  The video below is Freire’s last public interview before his death.



Finn points out that just giving people the idea that their life could be better is not enough.  They also need tools and they need to work in groups and communities to really foster change.  He quotes Desmond Tutu, “When missionaries first came to Africa they had bibles and we had the land.  They said, ‘Let us pray.’  We closed our eyes.  When we opened them we had the bibles and they had the land.”  This is where Finn brings in Christensen.  Christensen agrees with Freire, but she doesn’t stop at the fact that her students are disadvantaged and can make a difference.  She brings her students to places where they can see people making a difference such as picket lines and demonstrations.  She tells them how important it is to work as a group to make change since working as an individual is rarely successful. 

Finn talks about Robert Peterson’s work “How to Read the World and Change It” which I found fascinating.  In fact, I plan to try one strategy mentioned in Finn’s book Monday morning.  Peterson uses a circle activity in order to get students to share their writing.  I have students write in their writer’s notebook everyday and this year I have a class that is struggling with opening up.  It is a Sophomore CP class in which I have 16 advanced freshman and 10 CP sophomores.  The freshman think they are smarter than they really are and the sophomore’s resent them for being in, what they consider to be, their class.  Anyway, Peterson recommends that each person must share one personal fact or opinion.  I am going to modify it so that each period five students must share; however, they can pass on one rotation.  I am not sure how to organize it and how to grade it which is where the students will come in.  They will need to come up with the grading system.

For those of you that did not pick Finn, I would highly recommend him.  Although there was a lot to read, it was worth the time spent on it. 

5 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! I also had the opportunity to read FInn, but in the interest of sharing ;) I've read parts of this book before as an undergraduate. At that time, I did not get nearly as much out of it as I did this time.

    I think what really hooked me was the preface when he talked about hard-bitten school teachers. I was thinking about Beyond the Methods Fetish when I read it. IN the preface, Finn states that he is not currently a high school teacher, but his students are teachers of all levels, so he needs to keep that in mind when he offers solutions to problems and "not be so damned superior!" Hearing that gives Finn some credibility that some other authors have not had with me.

    Good for you for using what you're reading in your own class. As I mentioned in my blog, I recently had an opportunity to be an English teacher for a few minutes and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THank you for fining that video... I've read about him numerous times and this puts a face to the name and the ideas. Reading about changing Brazil was pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "She brings her students to places where they can see people making a difference such as picket lines and demonstrations. She tells them how important it is to work as a group to make change since working as an individual is rarely successful."

    Finally!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your blog. It was great reading the part of your blog when you described how you will use these writings.
    When I was reading Finn, I also thought I could use a lot of what he was writing in the classroom. There were some similarities with Delpit when it came to empowering and enlightening the students. Finn is a powerful writer and uses correlating studies/research to back up his beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the students in your mixed freshman/sophomore class openly hostile towards each other or is it more of a subtle rivalry? I wonder if you could find a way to open up a dialogue up about why there is that rift later in the year, once everyone is comfortable with each other...

    The video is deeply felt. "There is a duty to be tolerant. It is an ethical duty, a historical one." What a simple yet powerful quote. It is interesting how tolerance over the years can change. Think about how far we've come in the this country in the past 50 years and think about how far we'll come the next 50. I'd like to think us teachers will have some say in how that happens, which is a pretty cool thought.

    ReplyDelete