Sunday, September 2, 2012

Allan Johnson argues in an excerpt from “Privilege, Power, and Difference”, that there is value in difficult conversations regarding privilege, racism and heterosexism to name a few.  He mentions that he is part of the privileged (white, male, heterosexual) class and how it can make him uncomfortable or even guilty at times but I wonder how uncomfortable he really is.  Johnson wants people to use appropriate words such as privilege, racism, sexism, heterosexism, etc. instead of words like diversity and tolerance (pg. 11-12) even though there is a place for these words at appropriate times.  Johnson feels as though when people do not use what he perceives to be appropriate vocabulary, there is the impression that the real issues surrounding these very important conversations somehow become less important and less valued. 
Johnson is a sociologist, has studied and researched this topic for many years, and is obviously passionate about how people and organizations can make the shift to a society where we can at least talk about why we do not get along better.  That is something I applaud, however, it is a huge topic to undertake and there are some very strong feelings in this regard.  A goal this year in my classroom is to have a more open dialogue with my students even if it is uncomfortable.  I am not very good at debating and arguing because I have always thought of myself as more of a believer, than a doubter (to coin terms Peter Elbow uses in his book “Teaching Without Teachers”).  I enjoy a conversation where I see both sides and appreciate both sides, while not compromising my own views and values.  But, Johnson made me second guess why I think this way.  My family background is such that my grandparents felt all blacks were bad (and they did not use this particular vocabulary word to describe blacks), my mother felt that the only seamstress worth anything was the Portuguese woman across the street because “they know best how to fix clothes”, and my father never read a book by a female author until I forced him to and I don’t think he has read one since.  I can not help but wonder if I feel comfortable discussing issues over debating them because as a female, my thoughts and actions were not valued when I was younger.
Johnson talks about fear and how the fear of the unfamiliar is what keeps us stuck in our thoughts.  Some fear homosexuality because they simply cannot imagine that life style so homosexuality must be bad.  I like how Johnson says, “All of us are part of the problem … we could also make ourselves part of the solution if only we knew how”.  I kept waiting for him to give some thoughts on how the privileged can be part of the solution, but in the excerpt, I did not read that.
So, I wonder if anyone in our cohort feels as though this excerpt is dated?  I look at my 21 year old daughter that does not think twice about her friend in a wheel chair and does not believe her friend was less privileged or at a lower status or less capable than my daughter.  Her friend had obstacles to overcome and she needed to work harder to achieve her goals of going to college and being a functioning member of society, but she did it.  I think about so many of my high school students that are tolerant of other’s differences.  The fact that someone has an IEP or is part of Special Education, to most of the teenagers I have been in contact with, really means nothing, unlike the 1970s when I grew up.  I know we are not talking about the specific terms Johnson feels are “uncomfortable” to talk about, but I guess I am saying that there has been a shift in attitude over the years and maybe more so over the past 10 years.  When Johnson writes about how a black female does not have the same opportunities as the white male I agree with him, but I want to ask him so what?  What is his solution to the problem?
Johnson mentions organizations need to make significant changes in order for society to see a shift in attitude, especially “in colleges and the workplace, where many people have their first true experience with people unlike themselves”.  Although there have been shifts in attitude about diversity with new laws on quotas in the workplace and at colleges, I almost wonder if the quotas create a bigger divide.  I thought it was good to be more inclusive of blacks, females, etc. in the workplace; however, when I worked at Fleet Bank, some people treated newly hired women and blacks as though they were hired only to fulfill the quota and not because of their merits.
Sometimes I wonder if we talk about racism, heterosexism, and privilege too much.  By talking about it so much there is the possibility of turning these issues into a reality.  Talking about it too much is a form of oppression in itself.  We keep saying that females and blacks are a lower class so we all believe it.  I have always had the belief that we can manifest anything we want, both negative and positive.  When one says, “I am stupid and will never get math” then he or she will believe it and therefore live it.  However, if one says, “this is really hard but I know if I keep working at it I will be successful” then that person will succeed.  There is always the hope that we can all have a better life if we are willing to work hard and rise above stereotypes dictated by the privileged.
I am trying to understand where Johnson would like us to have more conversations about gender inequality, racism and privilege.   I hear these “uncomfortable words” all the time and do not feel uncomfortable using or hearing them.  I know there is a glass ceiling that is hard for women to break through in the workplace, but I want to know what Johnson feels is the solution.  We have conversations about these issues all the time and we have made great strides over the years.  We continue to converse and we continue to slowly break through the glass ceiling knowing we have a ways to go.  Technology and instantaneous social media outlets have brought so many of these difficult issues front and center as well.  As soon as a woman, for example, exceeds or screws up it is all over Facebook and Twitter. 
One day I was handing out papers to my students and I missed one of my African American students.  He said, “What’s up Miss?  Is it because I’m black?”  Now, my response could have gone two ways:  ignore the comment and pretend it was not said or use the situation as a learning experience.  I like to think that because I stopped and we all talked about where that reaction came from and why the student said it (even though he said he was joking) was because we have come a long way in our society since we can talk about it.  I do not think we fear talking about these things, I think we are troubled about the solutions.  The goal is to have an inclusive society where people feel valued and respected for who they are and what they offer to the bigger group.  People who feel oppressed and feel they are impacted by racism, heterosexism, etc. not only need the privileged to fight for them, but they need to fight for themselves.  They need to become good mentors and good role models to the young so that there is hope that a better more successful life is everyone’s reality.



6 comments:

  1. In your blog you bring up the question - "does anyone feel like this excerpt is dated?". I feel like the excerpt is dated, but certainly not out of date or something that society should lose focus on. This book was published in 2001, only ten years after the Rodney King beating, and eleven years before we still sit discussing it today. While I agree that there seems to have been a shift in the past ten years, it is difficult for me not to be excited about how far we might go in the next ten years if (as Johnson suggests at the end of his introduction) people “deal with these difficult issues and help change the world for the better.”

    Also in your post you shared the quote, “All of us are part of the problem … we could also make ourselves part of the solution if only we knew how.” Like you, I felt overwhelmed and was looking for answers that I simply did not find. I realize that there is not a checklist of actions we can take in order to make this shift, but I found myself struggling that I am only “one person” and that what I do won’t make a difference. It was this feeling that brought me to think about my own classroom and how I can be “one person”, but use the thoughts that Johnson expresses to help influence the thoughts and actions of the students in my class. By facing issues and having the ‘difficult discussions’ that you mention in your blog, maybe we are taking the right steps in becoming part of the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about getting into arguments - they're not much fun and I can always see both sides. I'm always afraid I missed an important point and embarrass myself and I try to avoid them, although have been more vocal as I've aged.

    That being said, from my experiences, I don't think this article is dated, although I think if Johnson were talking about specifically dealing with the students I teach (high schoolers) he would be setting up his argument differently.

    High schoolers love to talk about taboo subjects! Sex, gender, and racism can easily get a class going and their reactions can reveal much about their true thoughts on the subjects than they realize. White privilege would probably go over their heads, but they would easily connect with students that are deemed "different".

    I read Night, by Elie Wiesel, last year with my freshman for the firs time, and the reading revealed that my class were completely unaware of their insensitivity towards minorities. I don't want to repeat a few jokes that were made, but they weren't even cognizant of their offensiveness. I'll be approaching the novel much differently this year.

    So I do think the article is relevant. I would be curious to see his practical solutions to start moving people's perspectives in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you start with your own history here. And so much to talk about... quotas, discomfort, tolerance, solutions, solutions, solutions. I hope our discussion on Tuesday gets us closer to these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The words "believer" and "doubter" are often used to describe religious people and skeptics. I wonder how religion factors into the discussion of privilege?
    GK


    ReplyDelete
  5. "People who feel oppressed and feel they are impacted by racism, heterosexism, etc. not only need the privileged to fight for them, but they need to fight for themselves." I agree Madonna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corey, I sometimes have seen the same insensitivity in my school. I see it a lot actually because I am a Spanish Teacher and I see that students have a very tough time learning about and accepting the differences between their culture and the cultures of Spanish Speaking Countries.

    ReplyDelete